It was quite a disappointment when Building Management told us we couldn’t core a hole in the external wall for the hood ducting. That meant we had two options.
One was to opt for the recycling feature of the hood we bought – no way, I thought. I had that before in my very first kitchen we ordered for our semi-detached bungalow in Section 17. It was OK then and I didn’t have any major complaints but hubby and I both said an overwhelming NO to this option for our apartment.
The second was to let the ducting end on top of the hanging cabinets so that fumes from cooking exit there, and install an extractor fan at the window to suck all these fumes out. A hole would need to be cored in the window and that was fine.
As long as I don’t see any wires!!!!!
Today Bernard brought his ducting contractor to discuss the logistics of doing this. We looked at the Cata catalogue to select the extractor fan and after some simple volume calculations hubby and Bernard chose one that would effectively suck the fumes from the hood duct outside. Hopefully, we will not smell the aroma of our grilled steak three days after we had it!!!
The ducting contractor said he would come back on Monday to take the window back to the factory to be cored. The window opening would be temporarily covered with plastic.